How Ruthless are These Gangs?
Characteristics of Prison Gangs
- They use the facade of a cultural organization.
- They are establishing ties to street gangs.
- Members are strongly patriotic and have associated themselves with a revolutionary Puerto Rican group called the Los Macheteros
- Their philosophy is "independence for the island" or "Puerto Rico."
- They see themselves as oppressed people who are unwillingly to be governed by the United States.
- Members are required to procure 20 prospective recruits.
- Any disrespect shown to an individual Neta member is looked upon as disrespect to the group and is usually dealt with violently.
- Neta members come together in observance of their fallen members on the 30th of each month.
Intro to Website
This website, in addition to various others, was created as part of a class project to communicate research-based proposals using visual rhetoric. Our topic is “The United States Criminal Justice System,” identifying current issues, engaging with ongoing debates, and offering possible solutions in our proposals. Each website focuses on a subtopic of the Criminal Justice System, encompassing large scale issues such as Guantanamo Bay and drone policy all the way to smaller scale ones with juvenile delinquents, prison gangs and capital punishment. Our intention is to address relevant issues using multimedia dimensions of our proposals as either steps towards making that change or goal-states that present a more ideal outcome and picture of the current Criminal Justice System.